Saturday, April 9, 2011

Getting to know the services

One day last week I went to visit the rehab centre (CRF) that has a prosthetic-orthotic division, upper extremity splinting, and a small cerebral palsy program for kids (initiated by Isabelle).

In the morning I "hung out" with some of the beneficiaries getting new prosthetics, and although I was thoroughly impressed by the dedication of all of the clients, most memorable was a very elderly woman giving advice to a very young and 5 month pregnant woman, as they each practiced walking with their new devices.  As you can imagine, learning to balance on a prosthetic limb is that much more challenging when you're also carrying a baby.  The beneficiaries come to the centre to practice walking with their new prosthetic limbs until the rehab team feels they are ready to bring their limb home and use it in their own environment.  In one of the pictures you'll see a woman practicing up and down on a step.  She explained to me that she couldn't go home until she could do this, as this is the type of step she has to be able to manage in order to use the "tap tap" bus to get around.







In the afternoon I went out with a physio expat, a local rehab tech, and an interpreter to do some home visits in search of potential clients for the CP program.  The rehab tech is learning about "normal development" and how to identify children with delays (and CP) under the guidance of the PT.  We visited two different families--the first a little boy...spastic diplegic (in my humble opinion), who was also non-verbal.  Right now there's no SLP services offered at the rehab centre, and although I pushed to try to get them started, I was  told that right now it's not in the mandate (HI is still in the emergency phase).  There is a slow move towards the more development stage, so hopefully it will be considered down the road.  In the meantime, I think I might just introduce the communication book I happen to have brought along....



1 comment:

  1. Wow, I can only only imagine how hard it would be to be pregnant and learning to use a prosthetic limb. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete